Units shall contribute annually a minimum of fifty-five cents (55¢) per Senior Member to the Department Scholarship Fund, which can be paid from the Unit’s Welfare Fund. Poppy funds may not be used as contributions to the Memorial Scholarship Fund.
Units can purchase Poppy Seals ($6.00 per 1,000) from American Legion Emblem Sales for sale at profit to members for use on correspondence. All profits from sale of Poppy Seals may be used for Scholarships, Children and Youth and Veterans Affairs and Rehabilitation.
Spirit of Youth is a sponsored project.
DEPARTMENT AND MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP AWARD RULES
Are awarded annually to children of honorably discharged Veterans only. Four-year University grants are not to exceed $2,000.00 and Junior College and Technical-Vocational school grants are not to exceed $1,000.00. Department Scholarships shall be all grant and require students attend an accredited Florida University, College or Technical-Vocational school and be a resident of the State of Florida.
Are awarded annually to members of the American Legion Auxiliary, their daughters or granddaughters, provided said member has been a member in good standing in a Unit within the Department of Florida and shall have maintained that membership for at least three (3) consecutive years, with current dues paid.
Four (4) year University grants are not to exceed $2,000.00 per year and Junior College and Technical-Vocational school grants are not to exceed $1,000.00 per year.
All awards are to be made to full time students only, (which is defined as 12 earned credit hours in the semester). Scholarship awards shall be paid directly to the institution, payable in two equal payments, by the Department Secretary-Treasurer, second payment contingent on meeting credit hour and GPA minimum requirements. The number of scholarships awarded will be determined by the funds available at the time of each screening meeting.
All scholarships will be renewed annually in an undergraduate school provided the student needs further financial assistance and has maintained at least a 2.5 GPA. Renewal contracts to be sent by Department Headquarters to recipients and reviewed by the Department Secretary/Treasurer and Education Committee. Sponsoring Units will be notified of scholarship renewal approvals for students that they have previously sponsored. Cover page of application contains all rules.
All scholarship applications are to be submitted to Department Headquarters either directly or via a sponsoring Unit.
Applications can be obtained from the Department Headquarters. Deadline for receipt of completed applications by the Department Chairman for 2015-2016 grants shall be March 1, 2016.
Attached to the completed original application must be:
- Certified Transcript from high school, college or University last attended by applicant.
- Personal letter from applicant supplying any data concerning himself or herself, which would be of interest in consideration of application, including extracurricular activities.
- Three letters of reference from persons who have known applicant at least one year. One of these shall be a faculty member of the school last attended by the applicant.
- Provide signed complete copies, with all schedules for Form 1040 of the individual income tax returns of all those who will contribute to support.
- Copy of veteran parent’s honorable discharge.
Members of the American Legion Auxiliary, Department of Florida, who have maintained their membership for five (5) consecutive years, with current dues paid, are eligible to apply for a grant not to exceed $2,500.00, for continuing their education in an accredited Master’s Degree program. This grant may be renewed once (i.e., total award not to exceed $5,000.00). Applications available through Department Headquarters. The deadline for completed application to reach the Department Education Chairman, March 1st.
National President’s Scholarship
National President’s Scholarship awarded to daughters, sons, granddaughters or grandsons of veterans who served in the Armed Forces during eligibility dates for membership in The American Legion. Contact Department Headquarters for application.
BARBARA McEVILLY TROPHY
(Note: This Revolving Trophy expires in 2019)
Awarded to the Unit having reported the best year round program through participation in all phases of the education and scholarship program and in conformity with the current National Program. Entry must reach The Department Education Chairman no later than May 1st.
- The report for entry in the Department contest shall be type-written in narrative form, not to exceed 1,000 words, double spaced on size 8½˝ x 11˝ paper and bound in a folder.
- A fly-leaf page must state: name and number of Unit; name of Department; Unit’s membership, name, address and signature of the Unit President.
- Newspaper clippings, photographs and other material may be included as part of the report and must be bound into the folder with the narrative report.
- The winning report, minus newspaper clippings, photographs and other material, shall be sent by the Department Chairman for entry in the National contest.
ELIZABETH P. STORER PLAQUE
(Note: This Revolving Trophy expires in 2019)
Awarded to the Unit which hosts the best educational tutoring program.
Grades can include Pre-K through high school or any adult literacy course. Tutoring may take place in schools, libraries, community centers, or after school programs and should conform with the National guidelines.
- The report for entry in the Department contest shall be type-written in narrative form, not to exceed 1,000 words, double-spaced, on 8½˝ x 11˝ paper, and bound in a folder.
- The cover page must state: Name of award entry, Department name, Unit name and name and address of the Unit Chairman. Newspaper clippings, photographs, and other material, may be included as part of the report and must be bound into the folder with the narrative report.
- A copy of the Unit’s Education yearend report form must accompany the narrative.
- The report must be received by the Department Education Committee Chairman by thirty (30) days prior to Department Convention.