2017-18 Essay Contest Theme: “What can I personally do to promote Americanism in my school or community”
- All department adjudicated entries must be sent by the department chairman to her national division chairman or postmarked by April 15, 2018
(Grades 3 & 4, 5 & 6, 7 & 8, 9 & 10, 11 & 12)
RULES FOR ESSAYS
- Handwritten or typed, signature of student at end. Grades 3 & 4 should not exceed 250 words.
- Grades 5 & 6 should not exceed 300 words.
- Grades 7 & 8 should not exceed 400 words.
- Grades 9–12 should not exceed 500 words.
- Essays will be judged on material, originality and neatness.
- First place winner in each category will receive a certificate and medal.
- Entries must include National cover sheet completed.
Units to send entries to Department Americanism Chairman by April 1st.
DORIS E. HAHN TROPHY
(Note: This Revolving Trophy expires in 2026)
- Awarded annually to the Unit that reports the “Best All Around” Americanism Activities. Sponsored by North Miami Unit 257 (Unit Charter Surrendered).
- Entry to be typed, 8½˝ x 11˝ paper, double spaced, narrative form, not to exceed 1,000 words, submitted in a loose leaf folder.
- May include pictures, newspaper clippings inserted in back of entry only.
- Must be submitted to the Department Americanism Chairman by thirty (30) days prior to Department Convention.
- Unit must have at least one subscription to the Dispatch, and have made a contribution to Freedoms Foundation Seminar.
- Unit must have sponsored at least one girl to Girls State.
- Report to include Americanism Activities only.
- Title page to include name and number of Unit, location of Unit, Department of Florida, name of Unit President, name and address of Unit Americanism Chairman.