New Unit Process/Checklist
- Obtain Charter Application from Department Headquarters.
- NOTE: The Charter Application cannot be downloaded because it has carbon copies attached and must be in triplicate form.
- Fully complete all 3 copies of the charter application.
- Have all 3 copies signed by the Post Commander and attested by the Post Adjutant.
- Collect all new member applications (both Juniors and Seniors), along with total dues for each.
Note: A minimum of 10 senior members is required to form a new unit.
Send the following to your Department Headquarters:
- 3 signed copies of the fully completed charter application
- All completed member applications
- Department and National portion of dues for each member
- Completed form or letter indicating the Unit’s total annual dues amount for each Junior and each Senior
- Charter application fees
Note: Charter fee is $10 and roll is $10 for up to 20 names with an additional $0.50 for each name over 20.
When Charter application packet is received, make sure it includes:
- The application, fully completed and signed
- All new unit member applications
- Dues payment for each member that includes Department and National portion
- Payment for charter fees
- A letter or form that indicates the Unit’s total annual dues amount for seniors and juniors
- Have the Department President sign the charter application
- Prepare check for national portion of dues; make check payable to “National Treasurer”
(As of membership year 2014, national dues are $9.00 per Senior, $1.25 per Junior)
- Send charter application, member applications, charter fees, dues payment and unit dues information to the Membership Division at National Headquarters
National Headquarters will:
- Verify that Department has submitted 3 copies of fully completed and signed charter application, member applications, unit dues information, payment for national portion of dues, and charter fees payment.
- Compare the names of each membership application to the names listed on the charter application
- Calculate the total national dues required to make sure dues payment is correct.
- Verify that payment for charter application and roll fees is correct.
- Check that the charter packet includes information on the Unit’s dues amount for both Junior and Senior members
- Create the new unit in the database (ALAMIS) and enter all charter members into the new unit
- Have the National Secretary sign the new charter
- Affix seals to the charter and send to the Department Headquarters
Note: new member applications will be returned to the Department along with the Charter and roll.