For High Schools
Information for High Schools
- The American Legion Auxiliary sponsors girls who are just completing 11th grade and are in the top 1/3 of their class.
- Girls under consideration for any other conflicting activities are not acceptable candidates.
- Previous Girls State citizens shall not be eligible as a candidate. The Department Chairman may accept or reject any applicant.
- Candidates shall be selected on the basis of outstanding leadership, scholastic merit, interest in community and government, character, honesty, and cooperativeness.
- It is not necessary to be a child or relative of a veteran.
- Each unit should team up with the school to select their citizens each year
- The unit, not the school, makes the final determination of who they will be sponsoring each year.
- The girls should be interviewed either in a group interview or a one on one interview that is conducted by American Legion Auxiliary members.
- If possible, Units would love to speak to the girls of the entire junior class about the opportunities that Florida Girls State may provide.
How can you help?
- Provide units a list of the girls in the top 1/3 of their class and their contact information.
- Allow American Legion Auxiliary members to come in and present on the opportunities Florida Girls State provides.
- Allow former Florida Girls State citizens from the school to share their experiences.
- Consider donating to this great program!